Conversion of PIO to OCI Card
Important Notification regarding PIO scheme:
- This is to inform that vide Gazette Notification No.26011/01/2014IC.I dated 09 January 2015; all PIO cards issued till 09 January 2015 are deemed to be OCI cards.
- Further, PIO Card scheme has been withdrawn vide Gazette Notification No.25024/9/2014F.I dated 09 January 2015.
- Now applicants can apply for an OCI card provided they are eligible for the same, as the PIO card scheme is no longer in existence. For detailed information about OCI card, applicant may please refer to the eligibility criteria provided under the tab OCI Cards
Procedure for obtaining OCI card in lieu of valid PIO card:
- A separate online application for issue of OCI card in lieu of the existing PIO card without payment of any registration fee has been devised and is available at: http://passport.gov.in/oci/welcome
- W.e.f 23 November 2015, the application process is now completely online: Applicants must submit the complete application online, including uploading copies of all the required documents (PIO Card, Passport, etc.), photographs and signature. Signed printouts of completed online applications must be submitted to the High Commission of India, Victoria along with the originals of all the documents uploaded.
- Please note that scanned copies of supporting documents i.e. PIO Card and Passport need to be uploaded in PDF format when completing the online application. Similarly, the applicant's Photograph and Signature need to be uploaded in .jpg format while competing the online application
- The original documents will be verified by the High Commission and returned to the applicant. (in case of any deficiency in the application, the applicant shall be informed by email.)The applicant shall receive an email conveying "Application received and is under process", once the application is fully verified.
- The applicant shall be informed as and when their OCI card is ready for collection.
- The last date for submission of online applications by existing PIO card holders for conversion to OCI Card has been extended till 31 December 2016. PIO card holders in Seychelles are therefore advised to complete their applications for conversion to OCI card online at http://passport.gov.in/oci/welcome , upload all the required comments, photo and signature and submit a signed printout of the form along with originals for verification to the Consular Section, High Commission of India by 31 December 2016..
- Please note that Signed printouts of completed online applications may be submitted to the Indian Mission/Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO) within the jurisdiction of the applicant's current place of residence - i.e. it is not necessary to submit the completed application form only at the Mission where the PIO card was originally issued. Therefore, Seychelles PIO card holders residing abroad may submit the applications, along with the original documents, at the nearest Indian Mission/Post, and those Seychelles PIO card holders residing in India may submit the completed forms to the nearest Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO).
- The grant of OCI card in lieu of the PIO card will be on gratis basis and no fee shall be payable by the applicant.